Sunday, November 17, 2013

How about some 'steak'?

My love for Seitan is growing more and more with every new dish I incorporate it in. It's versatility makes it a fantastic tofu substitute, its a sponge when it comes to marinades (needs less marinating time than tofu, bonus!) and the 18 grams of protein per 100 grams is perfect for vegans and vegetarians trying to bulk up at the gym!

This week, I perused through my Southern Vegetarian cookbook trying to decide which new recipe to try this week and there was a recipe for fried 'chicken' with seitan. I thought I would try it out but with my own twist. Instead of making fried 'chicken' I would make a form of salisbury 'steak'.



I used two cans of seitan drained and rinsed.


I started mixing flour in the seitan.



Heated up the seitan in butter in a pan.



Once it started heating up I added some garlic powder and a steak spice that you can find in the spice aisle from your local grocery store. 



I also steamed some cauliflower then mashed it while mixing some cream and dill into it. I also roasted some asparagus and red peppers. 


The 'steak' had a great 'meaty' and crispy texture and it reminded me of having a steak on Sunday nights with my family with a glass of red wine. Seitan for the win again!

Fried 'steak' bites


Ingredients: 
  • 2 cans of seitan at 284g each (found at Superstore)
  • 4 tablespoons of flour
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoon of steak spice or to taste 
Directions:
  • Drain both cans of seitan and rinse. You can cut them up in smaller bite size pieces but I leave it as it is. 
  • Add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time mixing it into the seitan until all the flour is used.
  • Heat up your pan to medium high heat and add the 3 tbsp of butter. 
  • One the butter is melted, add the seitan that has been mixed in flour into the pan.  
  • At the 8 minute mark that your seitan has been cooking, add 1 tablespoon of garlic and 1 tablespoon of the steak spice to the pan and mix it throughout. Then taste. Keep adding steak spice until desired taste. 
  • It will take about 15-20mins for the seitan to be cooked on all sides. You want it to be crispy brown on all sides. That's when it's ready. 
Click here and here  for past seitan posts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment